Thursday, February 7, 2008

Fall In Line

I wanted to post on this issue the other day but was delayed. Now, with Gov. Romney's withdrawal from the race it becomes an even more interesting topic. I believe the line I've heard goes something like "Democrats fall in love. Republicans fall in line." As I watched the Super Tuesday results come in I caught Haley Barbour's comments on Fox News. Gov. Barbour basically said that the a strongly contested primary was good for a party, but that it shouldn't last too long. Basically, after a time the party should fall in line behind one candidate and focus on defeating the Dems. I took Barbour's comments as a thinly veiled lecture to the effect of "this nonsense has gone on long enough now be good little foot soldiers and support who we tell you to." Frankly I was annoyed bordering on upset. Why should I just fall in line? I'm not defined by the initial that's written down on my voter registration card. I'm not going to lay down my deeply held beliefs simply to elect a Republican President and tell myself he's the least distasteful option.

No comments: