Friday, November 2, 2007

Joe Torre

I am a huge Yankees fan. I have been for years. When I was growing up baseball wasn't watched all that much around my house. Naturally being from South Dakota the baseball that we did see was a lot of Twins and the ever present Braves. I gravitated towards the Yankees because of their history and to be honest I thought their interlocked "NY" emblem was pretty cool. I was skeptical when they hired Joe Torre in 1996. I was wrong. Joe Torre was in my opinion the heart and soul of the team. The reason this year's team managed to pull themselves back into contention was Joe Torre. I was furious with the way the Steinbrenner's handled Joe this postseason. Now I see that Joe has agreed to be the manager of the Dodgers. Its good to see that he landed on his feet. Joe will do a great job with them. Of course if the two teams were to ever play I would be rooting for the Bombers all the way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to know there are fellow Yankee fans in SD.

The departure of Joe Torre is good news for the Yankees. I like him and what he represents but life as a Yankee fan means expecting greatness every year - not just getting to the post-season. They pay a lot of money for those expectations and Torre did not live up to them in the last several years. At what point do you demand more?

I was insulted that Torre felt insulted by the offer the Yanks made to him. Let's see - we will pay you $1.5 million more than any other manager with the potential to make twice as much as any other manager. That is not an insult, it is called performace pay and is the standard in every other industry (except teaching).

Cashman is building for the future by retaining young talent and resisting the urge to buy established players on the downhill side of their career. Joe Torre is not renowned for his handling of young arms.

Torre's departure along with that of A-Rod (and soon Mussina and Giambi) allows the Yankees to continue to get younger and build something that is sustainable. Throw in a few high-priced signings in the future (i.e. Santana) and they will be a contender for the Fall Classic every year with a realistic payroll.