Saturday, January 26, 2008

SB 160

For some reason SB 160 bothers me. Do I need to know that when my 45 year old neighbor was 18 he got convicted of assaulting someone? Do I need to know that the same neighbor's now 25 year old son had a drug problem when he was 18-19? The information is already available to the public, it just requires actually going to the clerk of courts and requesting it. This bill in my opinion only serves to satisfy our human desire for gossip. Perhaps there is a need to know if your new neighbor is a multiple times violent felon, but I don't think you need to ruin a man's life or career because he made some stupid choices a decade or two ago. At some point serving your debt to society has to actually mean that the debt is served not that it's a life sentence.

No comments: